- Servings : 6-8
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 1:15 h
1 lb Italian sausage (I like to use the hot, but mild or sweet works as well)
1/2 medium onion, diced
3 -4 garlic cloves, minced (depending on taste)
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon italian seasoning
crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
Pasta and Cheese
3/4 lb penne rigate
1 lb mozzarella cheese (I buy Frigo or similar brand in a ball shape, easier to work with)
3/4 cup parmesan cheese (save half to top the pasta)
1 pinch red pepper flakes (if you like it hot!)
butter, for the dish
1. To make the Sauce:.
2. In a large pot, brown Italian sausage over medium high heat until cooked through. About 5 minute.
3. Reduce heat to medium, add onion and garlic. Cook until opaque. About 3-4 minute.
4. Combine tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and salt/pepper with onion, garlic, meat mixture and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook covered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Baked Ziti:.
7. Cook pasta according to package, generally about 9-11 minutes for al dente.
8. Halve the mozzarella. Cut half the portion into cubes, and the other half into thin slices (should look like discs, which will go on top of the pasta).
9. Combine drained pasta with sauce, cubed mozzarella, 1/2 the parmesan cheese, and a pinch of red pepper.
10. Place the combined pasta/sauce/cheese into a buttered 9×13 pan (I like to use my Le Crueset, presents better at the table).
11. Top with remaining mozzarella slices and parmesan cheese.
12. Bake in a 400°F oven for 45 minutes until the pasta is bubbly and the cheese is golden brown.