Country-Style Fresh Blackberry Pie2013-06-19
- Yield : 1.0
- Servings : 6-8
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 60m
2 pints fresh blackberries
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter
1 (9 inch) double crust pie crusts
1 tablespoon sugar, more if desired
vanilla ice cream (optional)
1. Rinse blackberries in colander, dry on papertowels.
2. Make and roll out enough pie dough to line a regular (not deep-dish) 9″ pie plate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to keep cold. Wrap other ball (rest)of dough and chill, too.
3. Place blackberries in large bowl, sprinkle with lemon juice. Set aside.
4. In small bowl, mix 1 cup sugar with the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
5. Sprinkle over berries and slightly toss very gently.
6. Remove dough-lined plate from fridge,(uncover), and gently pour berries into pie plate. Be sure to slightly mound them in the center.
7. Evenly dot top of berries with cut up butter.
8. Set aside.
9. Roll out second portion of pie dough to an 11″ circle.
10. Cut a 2″ cross in center. Fold back each center point to create a steam vent.
11. Place top crust over filling.
12. Fold edge of top crust under edge of bottom crust and press together to seal.
13. Stick four toothpicks down through the points (folds) of steam vents on the top crust to hold in place while baking.
14. Crimp edge of pie crust all the way around.
15. Brush top with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
16. Place pie on foil-lined cookie sheet to catch any spills.
17. Cover edge of pie crust with foil to prevent over-browning.
18. Bake in 400 degree oven for 40-45 minutes or til juices bubble through steam vent and crust is golden brown.
19. Remove to wire rack to cool.
20. Remove toothpicks.
21. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream if preferred!