Creamy Tarragon Scallops With Spinach & Smashed Potatoes2013-05-25
- Servings : 2
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 25m
1 large potato, peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
salt and pepper, to taste
3 -4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
3/4-1 cup half-and-half, divided
10 -12 sea scallops
10 -12 whole baby spinach leaves, stems removed
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/8 cup dry white wine
3 tablespoons yellow onions, chopped finely
1/4 cup half-and-half
1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon or 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, if you have it
1. Boil until potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes.
3. Return to pot.
4. Smash potatoes.
5. Stir in 1 tablespoons butter. Stir in Half and Half and ½ teas. tarragon into warm smashed potatoes.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Set aside and keep warm.
8. Steam spinach leaves and keep warm.
9. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in cast iron or heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
10. Dry scallops and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
11. Add scallops; sauté until just opaque in center, about 2 minutes per side.
12. Transfer to plate; tent with foil.
13. Reserve juices in skillet.
14. Sauté onions in skillet until softened; add garlic, then wine.
15. Deglaze skillet.
16. Simmer over medium heat until absorbed, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to MED-LOW.
17. Stir in about 1/2 cup Half and Half and 1 teas. tarragon; simmer 1-2 minute to thicken.
18. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
19. To serve: Divide and place steamed spinach on top smashed potatoes on two warmed plates.
20. Divide scallops and place on spinach.
21. Divide sauce over all.